deamination

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

fran008
Garter
Garter

deamination

Post by fran008 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:55 pm

Under what physiological and hormonal conditions would you expect deamination to be carried out?

i_r_e_d
Coral
Coral

Post by i_r_e_d » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:50 pm

What is deanimation? :?:

fran008
Garter
Garter

Post by fran008 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:09 pm

Deamination is the removal of an amine group from a molecule.

In the human body, deamination takes place in the liver. It is the process by which amino acids are broken down. The amino group is removed from the amino acid and converted to ammonia. The rest of the amino acid is made up of mostly carbon and hydrogen and is recycled or burned for energy. Ammonia is toxic to the human system, and enzymes convert it to urea or uric acid by addition of carbon dioxide molecules. Urea and uric acid can safely diffuse into the blood and then be excreted in urine.

zami'87.
Coral
Coral

Re: deamination

Post by zami'87. » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:32 pm

fran008 wrote:Under what physiological and hormonal conditions would you expect deamination to be carried out?

I guess that amino-acids are broken down when carbohydrate and fat stores are exhausted,right?during starvation...
Every man is a star whose light can make shadows dance differently and change our view of landscape permanently***