History of classification systems

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

PPonte
Garter
Garter

History of classification systems

Post by PPonte » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:28 pm

I know that Aristotle divided living beings into those with blood and those without blood: animals and plants. Then, what provoke the division in new kingdoms like protista, monera and fungi?

Thank you. :D

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:26 pm

The classification can not be like "those with blood and those without blood". Because that does not indicate the plant-animal classification. Think of an insect, it does not have a red blood like you have, so it is a "without blood" thing, and it is a plant!!!! But no, it is not.
Firstly forget the "those with blood and those without blood" classification. Then make a search and read the principles of classification. :)

Have a look at this:

http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/wo ... LECT04.htm
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

PPonte
Garter
Garter

Post by PPonte » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:23 pm

I am sorry but I mentioned this division done by Aristotle according to the information I read in this page:
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761 ... on.html#s8
Namely,
For example, Aristotle divided animals into those with blood and those without blood, a classification that roughly corresponds to the division between vertebrates and invertebrates used in contemporary classification schemes.

bearhug
Coral
Coral

Post by bearhug » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:25 pm

Aristotle used anatomy and physiology to argue that life had evolved from simple forms to complex forms. John Ray recognized that groups of plants and animals could be distinguished based on ability to reproduce. Carolus Linneaus developed a standardized classification system based on Ray's ideas. :)
"In omnias paratus!"

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:33 pm

PPonte wrote:I am sorry but I mentioned this division done by Aristotle according to the information I read in this page:
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761 ... on.html#s8
Namely,
For example, Aristotle divided animals into those with blood and those without blood, a classification that roughly corresponds to the division between vertebrates and invertebrates used in contemporary classification schemes.

You said plant and animal division. That's why I said that.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

army
Garter
Garter

Post by army » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:42 am

PPonte: Then, what provoke the division in new kingdoms like protista, monera and fungi?

fungi includes organisms that are not photosynthetic, but have cell wall. The cell wall, differs from the plant, is not composed from cellulose.
Monera is a kingdom of prokaryotic things like bacteria and blue green algae.
:roll: protista is likely the groups of protozoa up to multicellular algae. Better check fundamentals of biology books. :wink: