Blood pressure difference

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

indybar
Garter
Garter

Blood pressure difference

Post by indybar » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:08 pm

If you were standing, would you expect your blood pressure to be higher in your arm or in your leg?

Squawkbox
Coral
Coral

Post by Squawkbox » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:15 pm

i dont think it matters but the doctor always checks it in the arm. The other places you could use on your body include your neck and the top of your leg but i dont really want them checking my bp from my leg and definately dont want them to wrap that evil thing arpound my neck. This is the reason they take it in your arm. If bp wasnt constant around the body then i dont think the blood would move around properly.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

indybar
Garter
Garter

Post by indybar » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:45 pm

No, no. Actually this question was asked in my book and it says the bp would be higher in the arm because it is nearer to the heart. But I disagree.

Squawkbox
Coral
Coral

Post by Squawkbox » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:28 pm

yeh sorry that is right. Its like if you kick a ball along the ground. There is only the initial pressure and then friction causes the ball to get slower til it stops. But in th eheart more blood is being pushed out so it keeps moving even though the initial force is diminished. I dont think this is th ebest explanetion ever, maybe a teache rwould do better at explaining things
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

indybar
Garter
Garter

Post by indybar » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Actually I think the bp should be higher in the leg, doesn't it? Because it has a gravity pull affecting.

indybar
Garter
Garter

Post by indybar » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:05 am

Or am I wrong about this?

Squawkbox
Coral
Coral

Post by Squawkbox » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:56 pm

My text book also says its the arm because it is nearer the heart

indybar
Garter
Garter

Post by indybar » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:06 am

Squawkbox wrote:My text book also says its the arm because it is nearer the heart

Maybe we have the same textbook :lol: