I am unable to understand.

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sirwei84
Garter
Garter

I am unable to understand.

Post by sirwei84 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:33 pm

Which kind of trait, one determined by dominant or recessive alleles, would be most eradicated from a population of organisms?

I thought it was recessive because recessive traits usually appears at the lowest percentage. But the answer is actually dominant. Why? It is because dominant alleles that show dominant traits have more chance of being eradicated due to their high number of appearance?

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:23 pm

Dominant doesn't mean it appears more....it means that the gene is dominant when present...
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

delgrodel
Garter
Garter

Re: I am unable to understand.

Post by delgrodel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:42 am

sirwei84 wrote:Which kind of trait, one determined by dominant or recessive alleles, would be most eradicated from a population of organisms?

I thought it was recessive because recessive traits usually appears at the lowest percentage. But the answer is actually dominant. Why? It is because dominant alleles that show dominant traits have more chance of being eradicated due to their high number of appearance?

Well, put simply, only one dominant mutation is required to subject an organism to negative selection. On the other hand, one copy of a recessive mutant allele normally does not alter the phenotype significantly. In fact, very often organisms heterzygous for a recessive mutant gain an advantage in survivability. A little reading on Sickle cell anemia might help you better understand. Hope that helped :}