question about "isolation by T streak"

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hedik
Garter
Garter

question about "isolation by T streak"

Post by hedik » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:58 am

Hello, I find myself again here having searched for an answer to my questions everywhere else and yet again finding none. So, here goes :

(1) If you had a mixture of three kinds of cells and one kind had capsules (or other sticky substances on its surface) would you expect the capsules to affect your attempts to get isolated colonies?

(2) Imagine you are working with a mixed culture in which one kind of cell grew much faster than the others. You make a T streak right after the cells are mixed in even numbers and then another T streak six hours later. How would you expect the two T streak plates to differ?

Any help is once again totally appreciated :D

de47
Garter
Garter

Post by de47 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:29 am

i'm really not sure but this thing had no replies so i felt i had to answer. Um its my guess that yes is the answer to both questions but then i dont no what a T streak is so i could be wrong. :?:

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:48 pm

(1) If your cells stick togeteher do you think the spreading will be as efficient?
(2)T streak: You take an isolated loop and spread your bacteria on one line, then with a sterile loop (same flamed, usually :)) you make a perpendicular line that cross the first one at the beginning.
With this in mind, think of the probability to carry each kind of cell when you just plate them (Mixed in even number) or after 6 Hours (differential growth rates).

With this you should be able to figure the answer out
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)