Journal help

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Squawkbox wrote:hypophysectomy

what is this???

-ectomy: means removal
Hypophyse: see here

All the question is why woiuld you do that to oor innocent frogs? :shock: I never torture my bacteria this way :wink:
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:48 am

Hey, please don't ever mention the word "torturing" in biological forum, it is not properly. I don't agree! We dissect animals, do surgery, anethetize, etc. with a reason and we have an ethics on our research.

By hyphophysectomy then we can explain the role of hormones or hormone-like substances.

What do you think or what the word will you use when I mention about crushing bacteria to get its fragment for making a new vaccine? Still a torturing?

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:45 pm

Dr.Stein wrote:Hey, please don't ever mention the word "torturing" in biological forum, it is not properly. I don't agree! We dissect animals, do surgery, anethetize, etc. with a reason and we have an ethics on our research.

Overdosis in anesthesy..:lol: death occured after that..:lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:09 pm

Dr.Stein wrote:Hey, please don't ever mention the word "torturing" in biological forum, it is not properly. I don't agree! We dissect animals, do surgery, anethetize, etc. with a reason and we have an ethics on our research.

By hyphophysectomy then we can explain the role of hormones or hormone-like substances.

What do you think or what the word will you use when I mention about crushing bacteria to get its fragment for making a new vaccine? Still a torturing?

OK, no offense intended, I was Joking, errr... almost joking, the last time I dissected mice and frogs they had problems dosing the anesthetics and they were either dying (but we needed the alive) or waking up when fullly open and full of electrodes. Not a fond memory of mine.

But as a matter of fact I do not oppose to research on live animals, if made properly. Which tend to exclude labs, even at the university level.

But I do talk of genocide everytime I turn on the autoclave (Hey, I am killing billions of individuals because of their origins [my Petri plates] it's almost appropriate).
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:52 am

I think...if you refer like that Mr.Canalon, we kill countless organisms in every second of our activity..:wink:
about mice and microbes...I think it's just a matter of size...we can easily kill those who are small in size but we'll think twice or more if we deal with the bigger one.. :D
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:42 am

In clinical research, there are steps before a substance can be applied to human. In these steps we use different laboratory animals such as mice/rats for the first step, then rabbits for the next step, and then apes.

In immunology research we use rabbit, goat, horse to produce antisera. You know, we give them antigen and those animals starts to respond by producing antibodies and then we harvest those antibodies.

If we stuck on terms "torturing animals", "ooh poor animals..." etc. we will stop doing this. As you may know, the purpose of these research are for human being right? If we do not d these, we never get medication and let us die because of intensive infection that we can able to stop or heal.

We have bioethics and rules on how research should and must do. Also how to take care of animals we deal with. If there are people who do not follow these rules and play with those animals, they will deal with a law. We have a law and penalty for whom disobey our rules. That's a professional system.

:)