Thiamine Pyrophosphate

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bearhug
Coral
Coral

Thiamine Pyrophosphate

Post by bearhug » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 pm

TPP is synthesized from thiamine by enzymatic transfer of a pyrophosphoryl group from ATP. It is a coenzyme for Thiamine (Vitamin B1) just to inform anyone who doesn't know what it is. I was wondering if anyone knew if the prefix -pyro is significant in the naming of this coenzyme. I noticed that the structure for TPP has two phosphate groups and was curious as to why it wasn't called diphosphate instead.

Thanks
"In omnias paratus!"

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:24 pm

maybe it states that the bonding of those two phosphate molecule contains a high enegy bonds which is like in ATP which is phosphate anhydride instead of phosphate ester..I think the bonds is represented with (~) instead of (-).
and when these high energy bonds is broken down, it will generate much energy and one of the form is heat..(analogous to pyro isn't it??:wink:)
Ex: OP4~PO4~PO4-Ribose-nitrogenous base
(this is ATP..:lol:..is it??)

PS: this is only my opinion..for further detailed explanation, ask the creator of that name or ask the chemist..and don't try this at home..:lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.