the venus fly trap

Plants!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

goji
Garter
Garter

the venus fly trap

Post by goji » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:04 pm

How does the venus fly trap close the trap so quikly?

monotreme101
Garter
Garter

Post by monotreme101 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:07 am

I don't know that it actually closes quickly... I think the insect that is inside the trap stays where it is b/c it likes the smell emitted by the plant. The plant senses the insect on the inside by little hair sensors (cillia-like, mabe??). I am sure there are web-pages with more info. if you search venus fly traps. And i could just be talking about one kind, for all I know there may be ones that close rapidly

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:12 pm

The trap is closed by rapidily getting water out of the cells at the bottom of the trap, modifying their osmotic pressure=> closing...

The plant does have 3 hairs on each side of the trap that sence insects, but they are mulicellular structures, and have nothing to do with cillia. In order for the plant to close 2 hairs must be stimulated at small time intervals or the same hair stimulated at a 30-40 seconds interval. This mechanism prevents the trap from closing without catching something, as every trap can only be used 3-4 times. After that, it is just used as a normal leaf to do photosynthesis...
I had one of these plants, but my mom killed it... :(
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter