White Deer?

Animals!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

HayleyNasman
Garter
Garter

White Deer?

Post by HayleyNasman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows about the herd of white deer that live at the Argonne National Laboratory... Supposedly they are differentiated from albinos as a different breed or what have you. There is also a big herd in Seneca in Western NY.

I'm just very curious as to where these deer came from, and if they are native to North America or not. I have heard some theories that they are originally from Europe or North Africa. Seen pictures of these guys? They're awesome.

If anyone knows anything about them, seeing as I've tapped out google, that would be great.

Thanks!

-Hayley, a new member

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:35 pm

Hi Hayley
can you provide a link with a pic?
Linn
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

HayleyNasman
Garter
Garter

Post by HayleyNasman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:43 am

Attachments
albdeer.jpg
albdeer.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 5998 times

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:49 am

8) cool
they are beautifull
It seems I remember hearing something about white deer a long time ago, dont remember.
Now I will have to search for the answer. lol :)
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:27 am

Check their eyes, if red then they are just albino 8)

bio-loquita
Garter
Garter

Post by bio-loquita » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:20 pm

I agree with Dr. Stain, they´re probably the same species as the one in tha back of the picture, a white -tailed deer ( Odocoileus virginianus), but they are albins, this is a common phenomenon among mammals, it´s a genetic problem, and the individual with albinism don´t have any colour in any part of it´s boby ( eyes included, that´s what Dr. Stein mention ´bout pink eyes).
I think this is the case because you can see the nose of the white deer in pink color. That´s because the hairless-nose skin doesn´t have melanine, wich is the pigment that make the nose of the normal deer (in the back of the picture ) black. It´s the same whit white tigers, white rhinos and lab rats.

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:59 am

these are the same?. What do you think?
not albinos though
http://www.anl.gov/Science_and_Technolo ... r/deer.htm

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:09 am

Aha! Problem is solved now :) Thanks for the info ;)

StoneWoman
Garter
Garter

White Deer

Post by StoneWoman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:14 pm

We have a herd of white deer near Willits, California. (Mendocino County.) They are just white... albinos are different, there is no color pigment any where. (They have red eyes, pink noses, etc.)
I do have a picture of an albino fawn, however, the site won't let me post it. She was found trying to cross a busy road in Bolivar, Texas. (After checking a map, I saw there was a tiny town, Bolivar, and little else for miles other than a large freeway.) The email says the people who rescued her saw a dead doe on the other side of the road. She was rescued and taken to a wildlife refuge. It also says she was tiny... either one of a set of twins, or very young. If anyone would like to see the photo of a true Albino fawn, email me at [email protected].
As for our little herd of white deer here in Northern California, I know they have been here from the early part of the 20th century, and there has never been a report of a "colored" deer in the herd, although California (especially up here in the north) have several types of deer, from Mule Deer to White Tailed.
As a Native American, I use a lot of deer hides in many of my pieces, and am often asked (if I used a white hide) if the deer was white or albino. My response is always no, they are wgite because of a special way they were tanned.