Aldosterone?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

soulshine
Garter
Garter

Aldosterone?

Post by soulshine » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:36 am

Can someone explain to me in simple words whats its role, I tried reading & reading my text book but its not seem to be helpful [mayb its my brain ] yea simple word :oops:

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:44 am

Aldosterone (mineralocorticoid) is a steroid hormone secreted by cortex adrenal, which function is to regulate mineral (sodium, potassium) and to control water balance in kidney. Thus it is important to maintain the blood pressure.

Do you also need an explanation on how it is secreted? ;)

Endocrinology is my 2nd BF :lol:

soulshine
Garter
Garter

Post by soulshine » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:52 am

alright that helped thankz

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:18 pm

Ok, have a good study ;)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:21 pm

Also good to know: aldosterone acts quickly and saves your life in case of injury, unlike ADH which is lazy
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:20 pm

Dr.Stein wrote:Aldosterone (mineralocorticoid) is a steroid hormone secreted by cortex adrenal, which function is to regulate mineral (sodium, potassium) and to control water balance in kidney. Thus it is important to maintain the blood pressure.

Do you also need an explanation on how it is secreted? ;)

Endocrinology is my 2nd BF :lol:

aldosteron stimulates sodiumresorption and potassium secretion in the distal convoluted tubule

--> aldosteron is only released when osmolarity is too low. For example with severe dehydration, the adrenal cortex has the choice to secrete aldosteron or not. The choice is simple for the adrenal cortex: the osmolarity is too high, so no aldosteron is released (and thus no water retention via aldosteron)

(if aldosteron would be released with severe dehydration, osmolarity further increases leading to severe ion imbalance)