Genetics of voice pitch

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

danp
Garter
Garter

Genetics of voice pitch

Post by danp » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:30 am

Hi, my teacher handed a chart of recessive and dominant characteristics in humans. One of them is voice pitch for it says in males a low pitch is dominant while a high pitch is recessive while in females it is the opposite.

How does this manifest I do notice some men has a higher pitch but it sounds more like a higher harmonic added to the voice which still sounds breaked and natural. The only time I noticed a low pitch in a woman was once on television she was singing and she really sounded like a man.

Is this charateristics alot rarer than for example eye color? I haven't find much on the net on the genetics of the voice so I hope someone can help here.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:20 pm

Don't know about the allele frecquency. But the gene acts by modifying the shape of the vocal coards i guess...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

pankaaj
Death Adder
Death Adder

Hiiiiiiiii Voice!

Post by pankaaj » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 pm

I don't know more about genetics of voice :D
But I think u have observed that pitch of voice also changes b'coz of testosteron secretion.
So does it mutate those genes or they r already mutated?
Also the more info. about this u will get in any music school. Why such a voice is used ?
R there any more cords required? Or some special kind of cords they use?
Find out & tell us.

M.Shanti Priya
Garter
Garter

Post by M.Shanti Priya » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:01 am

For such type of characters (sex influenced) the heterozygote expression is different in males and females. In males the gene governing the low voice pitch acts as dominant and hence both homozygotes and heterozygotes for this gene have low pitch but the homozygotes for this gene have high pitch. hence men with low voice pith are more frequent. And it is opposite in females.