Is protoplasm found in all living beings?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Vayne
Garter
Garter

Is protoplasm found in all living beings?

Post by Vayne » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:31 am

Is protoplasm found in all living beings? If not, what are the cells of those living beings made of? If yes, why is there so much problem differentiating living things from non-living things? Would very much like a discussion on this subject.

Thanks!

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:47 pm

The availability of the protoplasm is the basic characterization of living things. No protoplasm, no life. When the organism dies, the protoplasm is gone, life is away.

bass_lasso9
Garter
Garter

Post by bass_lasso9 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:18 pm

protoplasm contains organels.. living cells activities need organels.. ex.: cell respiration, protein synthesis, etc.
if there're no organels in cells, that cells don't live.. bcoz no activities in it..
one characteristic of living cells is mobile or moving.. no ATP that made in cell respiration activity in mitochondria no mobile and no life

protoplasm~~organels~~activities~~life

so no protoplasm no life...

if I made mistakes please correct me...

thx a lot.. :)

Vayne
Garter
Garter

Post by Vayne » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:50 am

Dr.Stein wrote:The availability of the protoplasm is the basic characterization of living things. No protoplasm, no life. When the organism dies, the protoplasm is gone, life is away.

Ok, then my last question remains..."If yes, why is there so much problem differentiating living things from non-living things?"

Awaiting some good reply! :)

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:56 am

Could you tell me those problems please?

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:27 pm

hm.. you can say virus as living thing and non-living thing. you can "use" this as the sample to differ living thing and non-living thing. yes, the living thing organism has protoplasm.

Vayne
Garter
Garter

Post by Vayne » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:24 am

Dr.Stein wrote:Could you tell me those problems please?

Simply search http://www.google.com for "What is life?" and you shall come to know what the problems are. You can see all of those websites mentioning that it is very difficult to define life and differentiate between living and dead. This isn't something new at all...I know this problem since my biology classes in school. :) But just to let you know this has been a very persistent probelm.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:00 am

Mostly the problem comes from people who don't learn biology, I think. This topic is given in the early grade as I remember so it should not be a problem anymore to whom ever learn Biology ;)

Vayne
Garter
Garter

Post by Vayne » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:59 pm

Dr.Stein wrote:Mostly the problem comes from people who don't learn biology, I think. This topic is given in the early grade as I remember so it should not be a problem anymore to whom ever learn Biology ;)

You mean to say that you are perfectly sure that the answer is yes?

blindcat35
Garter
Garter

Post by blindcat35 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:56 am

Hey !! Living and non living thing is a the most interesting topic biololy disscussion > so the concept will change when we change standars
> LIFE IS TRUE _ OUR THINK ALWAYS CHANGE <

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:26 pm

Vayne wrote:
Dr.Stein wrote:Mostly the problem comes from people who don't learn biology, I think. This topic is given in the early grade as I remember so it should not be a problem anymore to whom ever learn Biology ;)

You mean to say that you are perfectly sure that the answer is yes?

Depends on your definition of "living" 8)

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Dr.Stein wrote:The availability of the protoplasm is the basic characterization of living things. No protoplasm, no life. When the organism dies, the protoplasm is gone, life is away.

I'll add something here..Organisms can also be said as a collection of cells which differentiate each other forming tissues, organs, systems and others..
So, if I mention tree as a living organism, is it true? Of course it's true because it contains protoplasm...but take a closer look on schlerenchyme tissue...is it a living organism??I don't think so..because it dies after differentiate..Now, back to the tree....which aspect do we take a look at? is it from other living tissue? or from schlerenchyme tissue? :wink:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.