Question about mold and mildew

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Post Reply
kyle gilbert
Garter
Garter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:25 pm

Question about mold and mildew

Post by kyle gilbert » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:25 am

I just got a dehumidifier for our room and bathroom because there was so much moisture in the two rooms that they had visible mold and mildew growing. Within the first 24 hours of using the dehumidifier my wife's allergies went haywire, and my question is. If I remove the source of moisture for a mold or mildew, does it release a batch of spores before death? I am just curious because we got the dehumidifier because the mold was messin' with her allergies, but within 24 hours of getting the dehumidifier they got worse. I am just hoping that this is the mold's last hurrah.

aileen
Garter
Garter
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:00 am

Post by aileen » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:13 am

physical factors may induce the fungi to release there spores

kinnikinnik
Garter
Garter
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:32 pm

mold should be removed

Post by kinnikinnik » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:24 pm

When mold is "dry" it can still release spores and mycotoxins, and it can still remain ALIVE. That's probably what's going on in your bathroom right now.

Here's a clip from an article about mold:
"Molds grow in our homes in moist...areas like damp basements, closets, and bathrooms, even after the moisture has dried up. ...All molds require some form of moisture to grow, however...the amount of moisture varies for different species. Some are xerophillic (colonize under very dry conditions) some are xerotolerant (colonize under a wide range of moisture levels) and some are hydrophilic (colonize at high moisture levels). ...Mycotoxins are examples of chemical substances that molds create ...The mycotoxins...most commonly reach people from the air, via spores from the molds in question. They are also found in small particulates at times which may often represent mold dust, small particles of mold that has dried and turned to dust. Spores, when inhaled, can begin to colonize in the sinuses and throughout the body, including the brain, lung and gut after a period of time."

You will have to completely remove the mold to get rid of it!!!

Here's another quote from an article about mold:
"Visible mold growing on surfaces where people may come in contact with it should be cleaned and removed. The decision to remove mold from enclosed cavities must be made after considering how much mold is likely to be present and how likely it is to be opened or disturbed."
http://www.mold-help.org/content/view/636//

For example, if there's mold on the caulking in the bathroom - you'll need to strip out all the old caulk, thouroughly clean, and completely dry the area - apply new caulk and let it completely cure before exposing it to ANY moisture. Then, keep the bathroom as DRY as possible to help prevent new mold growth.

Here's a website I've found helpful in the past, when I had some moldy problems of my own.
http://www.mold-help.org/index.php

Good luck!!!

:D kinnikinnik :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests