Please help- dehydration synthesis & hydrolysis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lalalalalovely
Garter
Garter

Please help- dehydration synthesis & hydrolysis

Post by lalalalalovely » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:37 pm

"Describe dehydration synthesis and hydrolysis reactions in terms of how water is involved."

If you could help me at all with this question, it would be great. If you have links to websites relating to it or whatever form of help you have please tell me!

Jedi of Zen
Garter
Garter

Post by Jedi of Zen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:47 am

The basic dummy answer (IMO) is that dehydration synthesis is putting 2 things together by removing water from the picture. Actually, the "dehydration" part can be confusing because with dehyd. synthesis you actually "produce" or isolate an H2O molecule. Think of it as mashing 2 things together, and squeezing out a little bit of water in the process. With hydrolysis on the other hand, it's just the reverse: you use an already existing H2O molecule to split 2 things apart - and split the H2O molecule itself apart in the process.

At least, this is my answer. I'm sure others here can give a more accurate description. Hope this helps!

lalalalalovely
Garter
Garter

Post by lalalalalovely » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:52 am

Jedi of Zen wrote:The basic dummy answer (IMO) is that dehydration synthesis is putting 2 things together by removing water from the picture. Actually, the "dehydration" part can be confusing because with dehyd. synthesis you actually "produce" or isolate an H2O molecule. Think of it as mashing 2 things together, and squeezing out a little bit of water in the process. With hydrolysis on the other hand, it's just the reverse: you use an already existing H2O molecule to split 2 things apart - and split the H2O molecule itself apart in the process.

At least, this is my answer. I'm sure others here can give a more accurate description. Hope this helps!

Thanks soooo much! That really helped!

Jedi of Zen
Garter
Garter

Post by Jedi of Zen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:13 pm

No problem :P Any other questions, feel free!