Cellular homeostasis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sophiasg
Garter
Garter

Cellular homeostasis

Post by sophiasg » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:02 am

I am confused on what CELLS do to maintain homeostasis. I would really appreciate it if you would give me some examples. Thank you!

fluciano
Garter
Garter

Post by fluciano » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:56 am

Some exeamples coming to my mind:

1. selective membrane transport of inorganic Ions to keep steady electrochemical gradient.

2. selective transport of nutrients through cell membrane

3. autophagic fenomenoms in order to contrast lack of nutrients

4. changes in chemical composition of cell membrane (concentration of cholesterol or different types of phospholipids) in order to keep membrane fluidity in response to temperature changes

leesajohnson
Garter
Garter

Post by leesajohnson » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:54 am

Homeostasis is a property that is characteristic of living cells, where chemical or physical aspects of the system are actively maintained within a range favourable to the functioning of the system. These processes are carried out through stimulus and response in feedback loops that vary in their composition and structure. Homeostasis is defined as the maintenance of an organism’s internals and keeping them within optimum levels. For instance, in a paramecium, there are contractile vacuoles on each side of the cell and those store and expel water to maintain the water levels within the paramecium. Homeostatic systems require sensor and effectors mechanisms to maintain control. These components’ structures are bio molecules, often constructed within the cell. Cells use membrane proteins to actively control ion concentrations across cell membranes to maintain the optimum osmotic and pH balances necessary for cellular function.http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/z4khvcw/revision
Attachments
Homeostasis.jpg