Scientists use gene editing to treat liver disease in mice

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

whbio
Garter
Garter

Scientists use gene editing to treat liver disease in mice

Post by whbio » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:38 am

A study has revealed that removing a disease-related gene may reverse a deadly form of metabolic liver disorder in experimental animals, and a one-time treatment is enough. The approach used by the researchers is described as metabolic pathway reprogramming.

Hereditary tyrosinaemia type I (HT-I) is a liver disease that is caused by a deficiency in fumarylacetoacetate hydrolase (FAH), which is an enzyme that is important for the breakdown of the animo acid tyrosine. HT-I is characterized by elevated blood levels of tyrosine, and it can lead to liver and kidney failure, and an increased risk of liver cancer.

In the study, the research team deleted a section of DNA from the Hpd gene through CRISPR/Cas9 editing. The liver cells that were edited displayed a growth advantage over those non-edited, and almost completely replaced them within several weeks. This eventually changed tyrosine catabolism, leaving treated mice healthy and asymptomatic.

More details, refer to http://about.cusabio.com/c-19781.html