Genetics Problem II

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bionewbie
Coral
Coral

Genetics Problem II

Post by bionewbie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:25 pm

In a cross between a white-eyed female fruit fly and a red-eyed male, what percentage of the femal offspring will have white eyes? (White eyes are X-linked, recessive).

How would the question be different if red eyes are dominant and X-linked? What would the expected phenotypes of the offspring?

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:16 pm

Draw you punnet square and results will include both proportion and sex of the offspring.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

bionewbie
Coral
Coral

Post by bionewbie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Yes, my problem is setting up the actual punnet squares ie what are the gametes when the traits are sex linked?

Jennifer
Garter
Garter

Post by Jennifer » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:35 pm

For sex-lined trait, X and Y are used to represent male and remale gametes. The male is only able to donate one version of the allele, for example:
Since white eyes are recessive, we can use rr to represent them. Since the male can only carry the one allele, we can use R for the dominant red eyes:

XrXr (Female) X XrY (Male)
XR Y
Xr XRXr XrY

Xr XRXr XrY
~*Jennifer*~

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Genetics Problem II

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:22 am

bionewbie wrote:In a cross between a white-eyed female fruit fly and a red-eyed male, what percentage of the femal offspring will have white eyes? (White eyes are X-linked, recessive).

How would the question be different if red eyes are dominant and X-linked? What would the expected phenotypes of the offspring?

I AM sure I already did this somewhere in this forum, but how could and where my post gone away? :? :roll: