Ribozyme synthesis?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

RazzMeTazz
Garter
Garter

Ribozyme synthesis?

Post by RazzMeTazz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi , I was just wondering how are ribozymes (catalytic RNA molecules) synthesised? Is it in the same way as rRNA is synthesised (the DNA codes for the rRNA in the process of transcription), however translation of this RNA into a polypeptide never occurs and it just stays as RNA??

claudepa
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: Ribozyme synthesis?

Post by claudepa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:56 pm

I do not know precisely the response for ribozymes. However I do not see any other possibility for synthesis of a RNA than being transcribed from DNA. It is true for rRNA, as you say, but also for instance for other RNAs with are not translated in peptides, tRNA, siRNA, miRNA and other regulating RNAs. In DNA replication primers are RNA but they are removed and replaced by DNA so that at mitosis genetic material in chromosomes is only DNA.

leesajohnson
Garter
Garter

Post by leesajohnson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:09 am

Ribosomes are nucleic acid sequences of RNA that have self-catalytic properties and are involved in splicing, replication, ligation, protein synthesis, t-RNA synthesis etc. Ribosomes are not enzymes; they are complex molecular machines that facilitate the translation of mRNA and the synthesis of proteins. Enzymes are proteins that lower the activation energy required for a reaction Protein synthesis on hand, would not occur were it not for the ribosome.