Help on jellyfish =)

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ambercote
Garter
Garter

Help on jellyfish =)

Post by ambercote » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:37 pm

Ok just wondering why when a jellyfish is taken from its saltwater habitat and then placed in fresh water it swells and bursts... The question asks whether or not the jellyfish is a plant or animal and why... and then also what takes place in order for it to burst. It is my first year home schooling and man, i am missing someone to explain what i don't understand to me!!!!

alizad
Garter
Garter

Post by alizad » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:01 pm

The reason it bursts, I believe, is due to that fact that in its natural saltwater habitat, it is used to having a high sodium concentration surrounding its cells. When you remove it from this habitat, and put it into a pure water habitat, you are creating a situation where there is a higher amount of salt inside the cell vs outside the cell, causing the water to rush into the cell [due to the concentration gradient], causing the cell to burst.
If you don't know about concentration gradients, learn the differences between a hypertonic vs hypotonic solution, this will probably help you...

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:09 pm

clue: osmosis, osmotic pressure ;)

fran008
Garter
Garter

Post by fran008 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:15 pm

Since the cells burst when they take up water, this shows us that they have no cell walls. If they have no cell walls they cannot be plants!