dna dumb e

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

dna dumb e
Garter
Garter

dna dumb e

Post by dna dumb e » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:16 pm

Hey guys/girls, I dont mean to butt in on something I am not privilaged to know or should I say I am not motivated enough to know. Anyway, I am a father of 2 kids, I am 27 years old and recently recieved my paternity results from my son and I had some questions about the "allele size" ratings in the "genetic locus" section. If I am out of line here feel free to tell me to kick rocks and I will, but if you are willing to help me understand I would be forever grateful.
1. Is there an "average" score of the different genetic locus types? I guess what I mean is, are there such things as more efficent genes ? And if so how would I be able to tell who has the "better genes".
2. Is there some sort of system I can compare my "allele sizes" with the most efficent as well as my son and daughters.
3. If in fact I can compare these genes, is there a way to help my childrens genes or whatever be more efficent. In other words can I through diet, exersize, education techniques, etc. help them to become happier, have more self esteem, problem solvers, etc. not that either lack any one of those. I just want to do everything I can for them, and not cheat them of something I feel I was cheated of, which is stepping outside the box with my parenting.
Wow, that was really long,
sorry about that,
Thank you so much for allowing me to to at least present my questions,
-Matt-

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:44 pm

I must admit i have no idea what allele size means. It is a concept of genetics i am still not familiar with.
But, unless you are willing to try very strange and risky experiments, the genetic material of your kids can not be altered.
diet, exersize, education techniques will help them, but not by changing their genes. Their genes will remain the same until they die.
As for the concept of "more efficient genes", i guess i have to ask you "efficient in order to do what"?
Sorry i can not help much..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter