Neural cell function with 21 day lifespan?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

chronicquin
Garter
Garter

Neural cell function with 21 day lifespan?

Post by chronicquin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:32 pm

I have some sort of chronic neuroinflammation which doctors won't even try helping me with, so I'm trying to figure out the root cause and hopefully find a treatment. One observation that should help narrow down the possibilities is that the symptoms increase significantly a fairly precise and consistent 21 days after a boost to T2 (3-5 diiodothyronine). The problem is most likely in the glial cells; most likely microglial. Several factors that increase symptom severity have in common that they affect cytochrome C oxidase, decreasing superoxide production and increasing tryptophan catalysis via indole oxidase, but mitochondria don't, as far as I've discovered, have a consistent turnover rate.

The time period is quite consistent at 21 days, and I haven't encountered any factors that alter it. When the symptoms increase in severity, taking a dose (100 mcg) of T2 or a drop of tincture of iodine (I haven't experimented with the minimum amount needed, so it could be less) seems to reset the severity to the average level. Taking more, or taking it for a longer period doesn't help. T4 and T3 have no noticeable effect. Goitrogens--which would decrease T2 production--cause an increase in symptoms severity within hours.

What mechanism in neural cells is created or influenced by T2 and has a precise and consistent 21 day lifespan? I'm guessing that T2 is boosting RNA transcription, creating more of whatever it is. I don't know what sort of lifespan timers are used in cells, but the effects seem too abrupt to be simple random breakdown. I suppose some other mechanism could have an abrupt response to a slowly-changing factor, so maybe a precision timer isn't required, but type IV food sensitivity has a precise and consistent delay, so it's not an unreasonable possibility.

If the answer isn't common knowledge among experts, I'd appreciate some guidance in searching for the answer. I'm not a biologist, so I don't know the appropriate terms the experts would use. While writing this, it occurred to me to try 'turnover' rather than 'lifespan', which led me to autophagy, which seems a promising direction, but I don't think that's enough to find what has a 21 day turnover rate.

One other observation that might help: the symptoms are also increased (in less than 24 hrs) from fatty acid ingestion without adequate carnitine. I assume that without carnitine, the fatty acids would build up in the cytoplasm. The fatty acids responsible are most likely palmitic and stearic; I haven't gotten reasonably pure samples of either to test. My guess is that palmitic acid is the culprit.