Please describe this enzyme

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

d9esco
Garter
Garter

Please describe this enzyme

Post by d9esco » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:34 am

Describe this enzyme for me, what properties would you give it based on its shape size or composition in a chemistry class. I know you could call it hydrophillic, and im not sure, but correct me if im wrong, it may be considered carbogenic. What other words could you use to describe this enzyme.

leesajohnson
Garter
Garter

Post by leesajohnson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:21 am

Enzymes are protein in nature. They are called the 'Biological Catalysts' which speed up the rate of reaction. Each Enzyme has a specific shape for each substrate, the molecule that fits into enzyme at its Active site. Once attached, enzymes lower the activation energy needed to start a metabolic reaction. Enzymes are catalysts, generally made of proteins (folded up helices and plaited sheets). They lower the amount of energy needed to perform a chemical reaction, which is necessary for some chemical reactions to occur, or they just accelerate the rate of reaction (such as the break-up of hydrogen peroxide). Some enzymes have site that require another chemical to function (or just to make them work), and some enzymes have sites where other chemicals can plug in to inhibit them from working. The process can be explained by a simple equation below:-
Enzyme+ Substrate –Enzyme Substrate Complex --- Enymes + Product
Examples:-
Urease
Lipase
Protease
Amylase etc