Assisting the human immune system by injecting antibodies

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

vitticeps
Garter
Garter

Assisting the human immune system by injecting antibodies

Post by vitticeps » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Hello all,
This is a very new topic area for me so please excuse any obvious/stupid questions.
I know that the human immune system uses antibody proteins to effectively mark pathogens for destruction by the white blood cells and their antigens, and that before your body can fight a pathogen it must first detect it, work out the exact antibody required and then synthesise said antibody. As you can see this is quite a lengthy process.
I would like to know whether or not injecting antibodies (or any other form of administering them) would speed up and help our immune system. I'm assuming that the antibody has already been synthesised outside of the body specifically for the pathogen in question. Would the addition of excessive amounts of antibodies (possibly before the body even realises that it has been infected) speed up the immune system's reaction and effectiveness? Would this also relive some of the stress on the body as it would not have to go through the long process of detecting the pathogen, working out the exact antibody required and then synthesising copious quantities of said antibody.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

PS. just out of pure interest: Do we actually have the technology to synthesise antibodies in a lab. I assume so but I don't know for sure.

claudepa
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: Assisting the human immune system by injecting antibodie

Post by claudepa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:31 am

Hi, I am not an immunologist and immunology is a complex science. However I know that a major progress in cancer therapy in the last 10 years is the injection of monoclonal antibodies recognizing with specificity cancer cells. This recognition triggers their apoptosis by complex mechanisms which involve the direct action of the monoclonal antibody bound on a membrane receptor on the cancer cell and also the action of the immune system on the same cancer cell (for instance HER2 receptor in breast cancer and herceptin). In the last 3 years promissing progresses have been done with monoclonal antibodies (anti PD-1 and anti PDL-1) which prevent cancer cells to block their recognition by the immune system.

Fornita
Garter
Garter

Post by Fornita » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:40 am

I think these are two different purposes. When we use antigen to trigger antibody, we only mean to prevent the disease, not to therapy. But when we use antibody directly, it means that you already has some disease and your body could create the antibody but not enough to curing yourself, at this time we need additional antibody to help.
Andrea Fortina
Genius only means hard-working all one's life.
CreativeBiomart, Recombinant protein expert