Can I use an at-home test for mold in my cosmetics?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

beautydispatch
Garter
Garter

Can I use an at-home test for mold in my cosmetics?

Post by beautydispatch » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi,

I don't know who else to turn to for this sort of thing, but there is a company (I won't say their name) that makes pressed glitters without preservatives, they used humectants, which are known to grow mold after a while.

However, recently a lot of people have been posting on Instagram that they suspect their pressed glitter pans might be developing mold. So after a month of abusive posts, lies, and comments from the owner, she decided to buy this mold testing kit called "Healthful Home 5 Minute Mold test" which detects 32 types of mold. She offered this up as proof that her cosmetics are safe and mold-free. I still think it's a lie to be honest.

If mold were to grow on a preservative-free cosmetic item that used humectants, would one of these types of mold be detected on this mold test? Thank you to whoever can help me with this.

Her original ingredients listing is: Glycerin, Alcohol MAY CONTAIN: Jojoba Oil, Candelilla Wax, Shea Butter, Castor Oil, Polyethylene Terephthalate and Acrylates Copolymer