Books about famous experiments in biology - 'methods of inve

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Absentia
Garter
Garter

Books about famous experiments in biology - 'methods of inve

Post by Absentia » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 pm

I'll explain briefly what I need (hoping to find something) :

I wanted to know if someone knew about a book that in a way or another talked about the greatest experiments in biology (Griffith, Avery-MacLeod-MacCarty, Hershey-Chase) or methods normally used to study certain phenomena for example, and explaining or talking about the paradigm used in biology research in such cases.

I know it might sound too vague, but I will have a kind of 'exam' essay, in which in addition to the biologic phenomena asked in terms of "notions" one will also have to suggest a 'method of investigation' to study it.

Example :

"The stomach plays an important role in the digestion of proteins, after having talked about that, propose an investigation/research method to identify the physical,chemical and biological factors that make that function possible"

And my main problem is that in school just the theory is normally taught and not the practical approach to such topics, so I really lack knowledge in this.

So what I'm asking is whether there is a certain book or even a suggested approach that I might start using that might help me in learning what I explained above.

Thank you for your help!

claudepa
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: Books about famous experiments in biology - 'methods of

Post by claudepa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 am

Hi
I like very much Essential Cell Biology by Alberts and co-authors. My edition is the third one. May be now there is a more recent one. The great experiments of biology are described in special inserts. It is historically very interesting. For instance I read about Griffith experiment: "This Landmark study offered rigorous proof that purified DNA can act as genetic material. But the resulting paper, published in 1944, drew remarkably little attention? Despite the meticulous care with which these exxperiments were performed, geneticists were not immediately convinced that DNA is the hereditary material." Many years later you find the same type of story for the discovery of Helicobacter Pylori, responsible of the stomach ulcer. It took many many years to convince the medical community that stomach ulcer is an infectious disease. Thats probably a biological fact of humanity: people do not change their own vision easily ! But generally when you succeed to change their mind you get the Nobel Prize.