is it stop??

Plants!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

is it stop??

Post by victor » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:07 pm

WARNING : The passage and question are based on the true story of Victor's life...
I wanna ask something, but before that I wanna tell the story first. Do you know about the theory of water coherence in plant transport?? the book said that this kind of transport system is based on the relative water vapor between the plant and the environment, so it uses diffusion at the leaves to drag up water molecule from roots till leaves.
The prove: you'll fell many water vapor at noon if you're near to plants.

what I wanna ask is, this kind of transport usually occurs on high trees. If I do an experiment like Ingen Houts' experiment on the high tree, would the transport system stopped because of the water vapor saturation in the environment??
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:54 pm

No, i can't answer cause i gotto go eat. Google radicular presure and eliminating of drops of water from leaves. Also google capilary ascension force
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:01 pm

doing the experiment it my plan..haven't become a truly experiment..(damn, I've to do the experiment by covering 30-metre tree with plastic..that's crazy..)
I think, now is impossible for me to do the experiment...so, I need the fast and to-the-point answer...:wink:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:16 pm

ok, hope youa re still online cause i'm done eating. Now, like i said there are 3 methods by which the water keeps rising in the absence of transpiration:
1. Capilary asceding force- in a tube that has a very very small diameter water will rise by itself against gravity providing there are no air bubbles in there. This strange phenomenon is proven in physiscs by Jurin's law
2. radiculary pressure- water enters root cells by osmosis. then it keeps traveling by osmosis from one cell to another all the way to the interior of the root and the xilem, pushing the water already present upwards
3. If the atmosphere is saturated with water vapors leaves eliminate water under the form of drops, by some strange structures named hidatodes(which can be active or passive). This keeps the water coloum rising.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Ach so...now I get it... :lol: still a newbie in botany..

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:46 pm

me too... this is mostly physics and biophysics.. just a little plant physiology

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: is it stop??

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:35 am

victor wrote:WARNING : The passage and question are based on the true story of Victor's life...
I wanna ask something, but before that I wanna tell the story first. Do you know about the theory of water coherence in plant transport?? the book said that this kind of transport system is based on the relative water vapor between the plant and the environment, so it uses diffusion at the leaves to drag up water molecule from roots till leaves.
The prove: you'll fell many water vapor at noon if you're near to plants.

what I wanna ask is, this kind of transport usually occurs on high trees. If I do an experiment like Ingen Houts' experiment on the high tree, would the transport system stopped because of the water vapor saturation in the environment??

WTH?! :lol:

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:40 am

Whoa!!! you don't know that experiment?? that's famous boss...
by he way is WTH = What The Heck???:lol: