effects of pollutants on protists

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

danielw
Garter
Garter

effects of pollutants on protists

Post by danielw » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:54 pm

I am doing some research and need some help! I have heard that some protists like paramecium, ameba, euglena, synedra, volvox, or chilomonas proliferate given such polluted environments as with heavy metals, oil, and pesticides. Is this true or should we see a decrease in a population of protists given a mild or extreme introduction to these pollutants? I am so curious but have no time to actually run an experiment such as this one. I am sure someone has alread messed with this question. Does anyone have any suggestions as to finding some answers or at least being led in the right direction to finding the answers?

David Lennartz
Garter
Garter

Post by David Lennartz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:38 pm

Hello Danielw

You can find information on this topic in such papers as those by C. Chapman-Andersen published in the Journal of Protozoology (now the Journal of Eucaryotic Microbiology)....she has done a lot on this topic. A scientist names G. Csaba has done a great deal of work on the effects of hormones and other signalling molecules on protozoa, and I think he too has worked on toxic agents and protozoa. I also have found that agents like Cd, Zr, Se are very toxic to the swimming behavior of Tetrahymena. This coming fall, I am planning to use this ciliate in my cell biology course and have such ions as these used by my students in some experiments to further explore this topic. Oh, Tim. O'Brien also published on this in Trans Amer Micro Society in about 1980-85

DavidLennartz