Headless

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Micky T
Death Adder
Death Adder

Headless

Post by Micky T » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:05 am

Someone told me when people were decapitated they remained concsious for several minutes. Is this true, or just an urban myth?

jnkdna
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by jnkdna » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:52 am

i think it's true. im not sure about humans but once i saw a decapitated chicken running around!!!! but then it died!!
d nyt is darkest just before the dawn

Micky T
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Micky T » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:49 pm

I thought headless chickens were just because the nervous system went crazy, and spasmed. I heard that when people were decapitated, their head, not their body stayed "alive" ( if you can call that life). I heard that people would continue looking around and blinking even without their bodies, but this could just be spasms too, I guess

Squawkbox
Coral
Coral

Post by Squawkbox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:56 pm

i think it all depends where you sever the neck, if there is still connection to the brain stem or cerebellum then the person cant still be alive for a bit. that is that their body can move but they arent really alive in the true sense
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

playboy bunny
Garter
Garter

Re: Headless

Post by playboy bunny » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:59 pm

Micky T wrote:Someone told me when people were decapitated they remained concsious for several minutes. Is this true, or just an urban myth?

maybe you should try it and find out. if you last for several minutes then you can send us a lab report

jnkdna
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by jnkdna » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:07 pm

playboy bunny wrote:
Micky T wrote:Someone told me when people were decapitated they remained concsious for several minutes. Is this true, or just an urban myth?

maybe you should try it and find out. if you last for several minutes then you can send us a lab report

now thats just sick! :shock:

wat if he dosent survive how will we know the answer?

playboy bunny
Garter
Garter

Post by playboy bunny » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:07 pm

jnkdna wrote:
playboy bunny wrote:

now thats just sick! :shock:

wat if he dosent survive how will we know the answer?

very good point.
but that that is such a random question. when you get your head cut of thats it, ya dead. although its kinda like when you put an aniaml to sleep. when you euthanise the aniaml, they still get muscle spasms etc.
but somehow i dont think thats related!
make love not war

jnkdna
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by jnkdna » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:35 am

yea i dont get the relationship btw muscle spasms and being decapitated! being a sleep is not like you're dead. but then again they could have some relation!

catfishjim
Garter
Garter

Post by catfishjim » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:43 am

Why urban?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:58 am

Urban mith doesn't mean it's from the city, it means "modern mith"
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:22 am

jnkdna wrote:i think it's true. im not sure about humans but once i saw a decapitated chicken running around!!!! but then it died!!

Haha yes! When I saw someone cutting a hen for food, the hen was running away after being decapitated, here and there for awhile then dead :P

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:07 pm

Yes, i saw a similar situations at my grandparents house when i was like 5. Talk about trauma...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter