Definition of receptor and enzyme inhibitor assays

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

QuaffleHazel
Garter
Garter

Definition of receptor and enzyme inhibitor assays

Post by QuaffleHazel » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:29 pm

In our assignment, we were asked to explain the difference between "a receptor assay and an enzyme inhibitor assay".

My problem is that I have difficulty identifying and defining the assays in question. For receptor assay, I understand that there are examples like progesterone receptor assay and estrogen receptor assay, and that they are for the testing of the presence of a receptor and its amount. So they are also ligand binding assay (LBA) right? Since by definition (from wikipedia), LBA "is an assay, or an analytic procedure, whose procedure or method relies on the binding of ligand molecules to receptors, antibodies or other macromolecules."

For enzyme inhibitor assay, my classmate said that it is used to test the function of an enzyme by inhibiting it and see what goes wrong. My doubt is that I have seen both terms, "enzyme inhibitor assay" and "enzyme inhibition assay" during my web search and I am wondering if they are the same thing. I saw in one paper that an enzyme inhibition assay was used to detect antibodies, which is different from what my classmate said so I am confused.

My guess is that maybe the difference, the answer our teacher is expecting, is that the techniques used is different, one centers on receptors while the other on inhibitors (but really, they're bind to each other), but they can both be applied to something similar.

Would anybody mind sharing some ideas or shading light on this?

Robertsmith1
Garter
Garter

Post by Robertsmith1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:00 am

Enzymatic phosphate exchanges are one of the overwhelming instruments for controlling the development, separation and digestion system of cells. The post-translational alteration of proteins with phosphate prompts emotional changes in compliance bringing about the adjustment of tying, catalysis and enlistment of effector particles that control cell flagging pathways. Illustrations incorporate the enlistment of SH2 space containing proteins, the actuation of quality interpretation pathways and the initiation or deactivation of particular cell surface receptors. The reasonable configuration and usage of these measures for medication disclosure and advancement applications will be the center of this area.