trying to build ecosystem. HELP!

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

populist
Garter
Garter

trying to build ecosystem. HELP!

Post by populist » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:59 am

I studied environmental microbiology in college. Unfortunately, I got in a little legal trouble before I was able to finish. However, it is still my passion. I am well aware of the problem we are having with our phytoplankton. Also, if a catastrophe were to happen, or a global economic collapse; there isn't enough wild life to support all of humanity for a month. So what I'm trying to do is start with a producer and create my own ecosystem. I would like to have a chemosynthetic producer or some type of fungus that requires very little or no light. I was thinking about bringing in a resilliant species like cockroaches as the next organism in the food chain. Since cockroaches are omnivores, and have made it through so many mass extinctions; they are a perfect candidate. Can you all help me pick out a good producer? I'm kind of stuck between a thermophyllic chemosynthetic bacteria or a fungus. If bacteria, I need one that dosent require exponential heat or toxic gasses