Mr. Frosty - Useful?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ainhoa M
Garter
Garter

Mr. Frosty - Useful?

Post by Ainhoa M » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:23 am

I would like to know if anyone has been using this device (Freezin conteiner) and if it is worth buying it in order to freeze my microencapsulated cells following a slow cooling protocol.

If there is anyone who has used or is using it, I would appreciate your opinions and I would also appreciate if you could tell me how this device works and the way it is used. Just put it in the freezer and it works?

Thanks beforehand

Ainhoa -
Ainhoa Murua Ugarte
University of the Basque Country
Spain

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:56 pm

Mr frosty? What;s wrong with your good old cloroflorocarbon ozone-distroying refrigirator? when i made fresh plant microscope sections i used to keep them in the fridge in 70% alcohol and they were just fine
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Priscilla
Garter
Garter

Post by Priscilla » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:53 pm

I am using it. I always use it. But I heard you could also keep in 20oC then -80 then liquid nitrogen tank. But to avoid being cursed by people after you when cells don't recover, it's better to buy Mr Frosty on the safe side.

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:58 am

I have used it. The only problem we had was alcohol leak sometimes. Other than that, it does good slow cooling job.
The hand of God may well be all around us, but it is not, nor can it be, the task of science to dust for fingerprints.