Cellular respiration

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:13 pm

mithrilhack wrote:Isn't there a different way which proteins and lipids are converted into energy(not thru pyruvic acid)?

As much as know, there is. That's why I told seancassell to look at the diagram again.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:18 pm

I asked that same question to my teacher a few months ago mithrill. Her response was this: I don't know. :D :D I found a book on this a few months ago. I'll try to sketch things out for you: if you don't understant-that's ok(i don't either-i just know them by heart)
you first need to know that glicolysis is not as simple as described in most books: there are a lot of intermediary products on the way from glucose to pyruvate
Now, as you know during the digestion process fats are degrated into fat acids and glycerol. these are burned differently. Glycerol is first turned into alpha-glycerophosphate and then into dihidroxyacetonphosphate, which is one of those intermediary products i mentioned. From here you get to pyruvate.
Fat acids are catabolised by activating them as esters of CoA(acil-CoA). then they are broken appart(with a little help from our good friend oxygen) into fragments of CH3-CO-CoA, this being the stage that follows pyruvate in the sugars' catabolism. So, here there is no pyruvate.
After the digestion process proteins->aminoacids.Catalising aminos is MUCH MUCH more complex but i can tell you that there is no pyruvate
regards,
Andrew
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

seancassell
Garter
Garter

Post by seancassell » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:56 pm

Say I wanted to research this topic further at the university libraries I live near; what would the subject i would want to research be? By that I mean, would I want to look for books about cellular respiration? Or how about cellular metabolism? Perhaps something else?

MrMistery, you mentioned you found a book a few months ago. Would you happen to know the title, author, and/or ISBN of that book?

Thank you kindly,
Sean Cassell

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:32 pm

I do, but it won't help. The book is in romanian
PS: you should try cellular repiration. If not try cellular methabolism which is much more then respiration. How about something called "the methabolism of nutrients"?
PPS: I doubt you will find anything but you can try
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Jelanen
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Jelanen » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:50 am

To learn more about the anabolisim and catabolism of fatty acids, amino acids, nucleic acids, and other cellular building blocks, you want to look at a biochemistry textbook. My whole second semester of biochemistry was just on that stuff, the first semester was glycolysis, CA cycle, enzyme activity, ETS, and energy.
-Jelanen

seancassell
Garter
Garter

Post by seancassell » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:42 pm

Thanks, Jelanen, I will look into that.

whitebear36
Garter
Garter

Post by whitebear36 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:24 pm

I wonder How Glycerol turned into alpha-glycerophosphate and then into dihidroxyacetonphosphate

THank you!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:33 pm

Each reaction has a specific enzyme. I do not know their names as they seem unimportant to me. I can look them up if you want

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:08 pm

Ok...look for it and tell it to us.. :lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:11 pm

whitebear36 wrote:I wonder How Glycerol turned into alpha-glycerophosphate and then into dihidroxyacetonphosphate

THank you!

i explained thus in more threads on this forum but here's the story about metabolizing glycerol again:

First glycerol is activated by giving it a phosphate group. The enzyme in play is glycerol kinase. The result is glycerol-3-phosphate.

This is oxidized by glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase to dihydroxyacetonphosphate.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:48 pm

Looks like i don't need to...

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:51 pm

lol, i had to learn the whole metabolism this year :roll: