Genetic Testing

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Whatnow
Garter
Garter

Genetic Testing

Post by Whatnow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:30 am

First I'm confused if this is a site for amateur biologist or a homework answering site. If it is first thing could I get some help?

I only had biology classes in high school. I want to see how far I can self teach my about the subject. My goal is setting up my own lab at home. I want to genetically test some pet birds to see if they have the genes that produce prolactin so I want to breed for. I'm not sure how to go about this.

I would like to know the procedures/equipment that professional labs go about doing genetic testing? If I can figure this out I can compare how adaptive this could be.
I was also wondering if it would be easier to test if the animal makes the protein?
I think there are a few amateur labs around so if I can't do this at home could I do it in a rented lab as long as I got the steps down?
Can you contact professional labs to do the test for you? Doesn't seem like they would do that for individuals.