Bioinformatics v.s. Genetic Engineering

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

trigonometry
Garter
Garter

Bioinformatics v.s. Genetic Engineering

Post by trigonometry » Tue May 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi, I need some advice on a career choice. A lot of my decision depends on the salary and details of the job.

I love biology, math, and programming. Naturally, Bioinformatics sounds great, despite never being able to find any solid information on it. Though I've heard people in this field are "destined to be poor"? I have seen some "inflated" salary reports of 300k, but I've also seen some that are 60k. Is any of that even accurate?

On the other hand, genetic engineering seems fascinating (this is going to sound ignorant, but wouldn't Bioinformatics Engineering just be a subsection of that?) and I heard the pay is better. I still can't find any real information on that either.

I just need some very honest opinions. Please don't sugar coat anything.

P/S: Are there any good courses you guys can recommend? Coursera had a pretty good Bioinformatics Course, but they blocked off access to it now that it's over. I think they're starting it over and it's broken off into sections? I don't know. Any courses would be greatly appreciated.