green transgenic pigs

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Terry K.
Death Adder
Death Adder

green transgenic pigs

Post by Terry K. » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Did you guys/gals here about the great feat in stem cell research that occurred recently. Some scientists in Taiwan created pigs with a gene from a jellyfish that makes them green. Obviously, they used vectors. The cool thing about this is, the pigs are entirely luminescent, I mean organs and everything. There were attempts at this before, but only portions were changed. Now, they can take the stem cells from these pigs and use them to identify where the stem cells go in adult pigs, and hopefully, eventually find a way to do this in humans and start to grow brand new organs. That way, patients that need new organs will no longer have to sit on a waiting list, but rather, have a new organ there within a short time. I thought this was cool. If you look up "green transgenic pigs" on google, you can find out the specifics. TTFN.
Saying that any two humans are exactly alike is like saying republicans have morals

Sabrina
Coral
Coral

I do not like green eggs and ham

Post by Sabrina » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:02 am

I saw this too. :shock:

Click on the link to see photos!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 605202.stm

I already knew about the glowing rabbit but the pigs are new to me.

Peace,
Sabrina