What sort of jobs can one get with a biology degree ?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

KF81
Garter
Garter

What sort of jobs can one get with a biology degree ?

Post by KF81 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi, my name is Kevin and this is my first post here. I am a 34 year old male who lives in England and i have always been interested in how the world works. I have read a lot about quantum physics, philosophy, evolution and a few other things in my own time. I did poorly at school and have been in boring warehouse jobs for most of my life. I am not a silly person though and i have a thirst for knowledge and enjoy learning about reality and nature.

I am interested in maybe doing an access course and then a biology degree. I did like the idea of becoming a forensic scientist but i have been told, it is very competitive and there are far more people with forensic degree's than there are forensic jobs !

I am interested in biology and would like to learn about the subject but i do not know what type of work i could do with a biology degree. I find microbiology is very interesting.

If i did get a degree in biology would it be easy for me to find a job in the field ? I fear that there are not that many jobs for someone with a biology degree.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have, so thanks !

KF81
Garter
Garter

Post by KF81 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Also, i wonder if i am clever enough to do all of that. I do have a thirst for knowledge and i enjoy learning how nature works. Virology seems like an interesting topic and i know i would enjoy learning about viruses and all the interactions. But, am i really clever enough to become a virologist, it is a pretty complex subject.

I would have to do an access course first at a local collage and then apply to a University.

Darby
Viper
Viper

Re: What sort of jobs can one get with a biology degree ?

Post by Darby » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:17 pm

As you've already noted, the jobs often depend upon the specialty - virology might lead to jobs in pharmaceuticals or government bureaus. Academic careers aren't quite as limited by specialty, but they can be hard to find.

KF81
Garter
Garter

Post by KF81 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:00 pm

I was also wondering about mathematical ability. I know i have a keen interest about the world and i do understand basic chemistry, physics, cosmology, evolution, some dna processes ect ect I enjoy learning about the natural word. The main thing that i am concerned about is that i am not very good at maths. I don't really have any natural ability when it comes to mathematics. I understand stuff like chemical bonds, chemical reactions, molecular chains, enzyme functions, protein functions, genetic traits, genes, chromosomes, atoms, electrons, polarity and so on.

I know i do have some academic ability and i am good at understanding concepts and information like i have mentioned above. But, like i say, i am not very good at working mathematical problems out, i just find it hard. Will that be a problem for someone like me who would like to study biology at degree level ?

Thanks

Steven2015
Garter
Garter

Post by Steven2015 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:14 am

Many biotech companies recruit people with biology background, such as my current company http://www.creative-diagnostics.com/. We bring in graduates and undergraduates,and also Doctors with biology background every year.

KF81
Garter
Garter

Post by KF81 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Steven2015 wrote:Many biotech companies recruit people with biology background, such as my current company http://www.creative-diagnostics.com/. We bring in graduates and undergraduates,and also Doctors with biology background every year.

Thanks for the reply. I had a quick read and it sounds interesting, there seems to be a lot to learn but i don't mind that because i enjoy learning. I have sent an application off to a collage so hopefully i will hear from them soon.