Plant Hormone; Tying it into genetics.

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Nemi
Garter
Garter

Plant Hormone; Tying it into genetics.

Post by Nemi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:12 pm

I am trying to do a paper on deforestation and I have to tie it in to genetics. Well, I thought I found a way too but some people say it won't work. I believed that the plant hormones known as gibberellins could help the tree grow faster and mature faster. If they could grow and mature faster then the trees could reproduce faster there putting an end to the threat of rainforest destruction. There are lots of uses for the rainforest but the one that people are exploiting are its wide variety of plant life. Not only are the trees and shrubbery dying but its animals are too. They are losing there homes and there food. "Experts estimates that we are losing 137 plant, animal and insect species every single day due to rainforest deforestation. That equates to 50,000 species a year. As the rainforest species disappear, so do many possible cures for life-threatening diseases. Currently, 121 prescription drugs sold worldwide come from plant-derived sources. While 25% of Western pharmaceuticals are derived from rainforest ingredients, less that 1% of these tropical trees and plants have been tested by scientists." Please help me out. -Nemi

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:58 pm

I already explained to you, a bigger amount of auxin, giberelin or any other hormone won't make the plant grow better, it will make it grow worse
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:40 pm

excess in those growth hormone doesn't mean that they'll grow like you wish for....beside there's another growth hormone which is brassinolide or brassinosteroid.
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:01 pm

You are obsessed with brassinolide victor. When i last checked the phytohormone count was around 200 or something similar... Some of them don't even have names, they are just called p-k-245 or something like that. Those are the most important
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter