Bacteria Question

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biorocks
Garter
Garter

Bacteria Question

Post by biorocks » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:25 am

hello, I was wondering: what are the techniques used to classify a disease causing bacteria?

thanks

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 am

There're many techniques to classify those thing depends on the character of the bacteria. example is: characterizing bacteria into gram+ and gram- including the pathogenity relation within them....
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

bob1111111111
Garter
Garter

Post by bob1111111111 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:41 pm

bacteria is dangerous it kills you will die by breathing a bacterial enzyme beware before for they take over the universe. stay clean use Mr muscle!! peace out fellow online biologists :lol: :twisted:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Don't worry, when they attack, we'll be ready..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

JB
Garter
Garter

Post by JB » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:12 pm

We have lots of defense system: cilia to sweep of bateria, HCl kills them
White blood cells and so on! :D

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:33 pm

bob1111111111 wrote:bacteria is dangerous it kills you will die by breathing a bacterial enzyme beware before for they take over the universe. stay clean use Mr muscle!! peace out fellow online biologists :lol: :twisted:

Have a glass of water and take a deep breath, bacteria were there before us, they more than likely stil be there after us but they are not that deadly. And no bacterial enzyme can kill you, even though some toxins can.

As for classification of bacteria, disease causing or not, they are the same, they relie on shape, certain reactions and staining (including the Gram test), growth requirements (aerbic, or not, source of carbon of N2,...) and of course genome. Usually many of them used in conjonction. Hence there is no simple answer to your question. Maybe if you were more specific we could give you a better answer sorry.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:20 pm

MrMistery wrote:Don't worry, when they attack, we'll be ready..

I also have prepared my own ICBM (Inter Cellular Ballistic Misille) if there's a war between pathogenic bacteria with my immune soldiers.. :lol: :mrgreen:

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Re: Bacteria Question

Post by Sepals » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:17 pm

biorocks wrote:hello, I was wondering: what are the techniques used to classify a disease causing bacteria?

thanks
I had to answer a similar question in some cw I did. I could give you the answer but how about I point you to the right soucre instead. I got the info from the book: Brock Biology of Mircoorgansims by Madigan and Martinko. I'm sure the answer is in many other books, also many articles and webistes as well. :mrgreen:

Edit: I totally forgot I had what looks to be a really good on bacteria which might be helpful: http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:05 pm

Sepals wrote:I had to answer a similar question in some cw I did. I could give you the answer but how about I point you to the right soucre instead. I got the info from the book: Brock Biology of Mircoorgansims by Madigan and Martinko. I'm sure the answer is in many other books, also many articles and webistes as well. :mrgreen:

Edit: I totally forgot I had what looks to be a really good on bacteria which might be helpful: http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/

Nah, Brock is one of my collection...it's a good book and believe me...it's thick.. :lol:

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Post by Sepals » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:04 pm

victor wrote:
Sepals wrote:I had to answer a similar question in some cw I did. I could give you the answer but how about I point you to the right soucre instead. I got the info from the book: Brock Biology of Mircoorgansims by Madigan and Martinko. I'm sure the answer is in many other books, also many articles and webistes as well. :mrgreen:

Nah, Brock is one of my collection...it's a good book and believe me...it's thick.. :lol:
Yes it is an excellent book. I'm have it in my collection too and am reading it at the mo and it does have the answers. I wouldn't say it's thicker than most bio books, I actually find it's written more clearer and less complex than most textbooks such as principles of biochem which I also have.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:51 am

Only 1200+ pages is normal in bio books..
now, it's time for book promotion....get the Brock's Biology of Microorganisms in the candy shop near to your home NOW...:lol:

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:06 am

Hey don't hate bacteria, don't forget there are some friendly bacteria :)