Drosophila Cross: Vestigial x Bar

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

keaio
Garter
Garter

Drosophila Cross: Vestigial x Bar

Post by keaio » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:33 pm

:cry: can somebody help me out...

I'm suppose to mate a female Bar with a Vestigial male..
could you tell me the specifics of each type of fly(recessive/dominant/x-linked) and the expected outcome of their offspring: F1 and F2

..I would really appreciate it.. :wink:

bearhug
Coral
Coral

Post by bearhug » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:34 pm

Bar is dominant sexlinked and Vestigial is recessive (I'm not sure if Vestigial is sexlinked or autosomal) Is the female homozygous or heterzygous?
"In omnias paratus!"

keaio
Garter
Garter

Post by keaio » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:25 am

thank you for replying bearhug!

yeah..i searched for it and found that vestigial is autosomal..it's found in chromosome 2.
as for wether the female is homozygous or heterozygous..i have no idea.. my teacher just told us to sex the flies and bring them home.. she didn't give much explanation^^;;

keaio
Garter
Garter

Post by keaio » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:30 am

what would be the genotypes of the parents if all of their offspring is Bar with normal wings? i'm not really sure how to make a dihybrid square on this one.. could u show me please

bearhug
Coral
Coral

Post by bearhug » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:44 pm

The mother would have to be homozygous dominant. I'm assuming since it is not specified that the father does not have the trait for Bar. In that case the mother is X+X+ and the father is X-Y.
"In omnias paratus!"

keaio
Garter
Garter

Post by keaio » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:49 pm

so.... is it possible that all the F1 male and female came out to be bar w/ nowmal wings(no vestigial)?
my teacher keeps telling me that Bar is recessive since wild is dominant...she said it's impossible for me to have gotten all bar eyes for the parent's offspring(F1)...i don't want to get a bad grade on this lab-___-;

...also..if Bar is a dominant sex-linked trait...then wouldn't it mean that the offspring females wouldn't have bar eyes..since the male parent had normal eyes... this is so confusing... please..help..PLEASE

bearhug
Coral
Coral

Post by bearhug » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:17 am

Do you know how to do I monohybrid and dihybrid cross? If you don't then you really need to learn in order to do well with genetics. Also I'm not trying to disagree with your teacher I'm just going by what I know, but there are some genes that are wild types and are recessive. This is not as common but they do exist. I would have to look it up in my book which list one or two examples of this.
"In omnias paratus!"