Computer Science + Ecology/Ethology/Conservation biology = ?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Nwah
Garter
Garter

Computer Science + Ecology/Ethology/Conservation biology = ?

Post by Nwah » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:00 am

Hello everyone,

I did my MS in Computer Science in 2013. Now I am teaching programming to college students. After teaching for a year or two I can do a PhD in computer science but I don't want to learn anymore about computers or do research about computers (six years was enough).

We have made tremendous advancements in technology but the natural world is at peril. I think I would be way more useful to this world if I became a conservation biologist instead of a computer scientist. I always wanted to know about living things. I am fascinated by animals and plants. Perhaps I can get a masters degree in Ecology/Ethology/Biodiversity/Conservati... Biology. I can surely use my programming/software development/computer graphics/simulation skills in those areas.

Does this sound like a good idea? Will the professors in the biology department be interested in letting an IT guy into their labs or take him to an underwater field trip to examine coral bleaching? I don't know. I'll email them soon but I thought maybe I'd ask you first. Please share your opinions/suggestions. This is a major decision of my life and I'm being extra careful.

Thank you, I really appreciate your time.

N'wah

jonmoulton
Viper
Viper

Re: Computer Science + Ecology/Ethology/Conservation biology = ?

Post by jonmoulton » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:40 pm

I can offer a taste of the direction you are discussing, as well as a specific tool which you might find exciting. Look into HexSim:
http://www.hexsim.net/

Nwah
Garter
Garter

Re: Computer Science + Ecology/Ethology/Conservation biology = ?

Post by Nwah » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:17 pm

jonmoulton wrote:I can offer a taste of the direction you are discussing, as well as a specific tool which you might find exciting. Look into HexSim:
http://www.hexsim.net/

That IS exciting! I just finished reading about it. I'm going to download it and start learning to use it. Thank you so much jonmoulton!

wildfunguy
Coral
Coral

Post by wildfunguy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:47 am

Design an eco-friendly computer chip.

BasicBiology
Garter
Garter

Post by BasicBiology » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:56 pm

You will definitely have some skills from your computer science degree that would be very useful in terms of modelling and what not in ecology and biology. If it is enough to jump into a masters degree in one of these fields I'm not sure. You might have a better chance of doing a graduate diploma or something for a year and then jumping into a masters degree. I would definitely encourage you to get into it though.

Good luck
Adam Purcell
Basic Biology

http://basicbiology.net