Kodiak vs. Blue Whale

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Jschiers
Garter
Garter

Post by Jschiers » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:56 am

Ok.

So are we saying that if the Kodiak sleuth attacked quickly enough they could take down a blue whale in the water? quickly enough that the blue whale could not react and drag them to the depths it can survive yet they can't.

What about on land? I am hearing that the blue whale can't move. Is this true? Could it not roll over on the Kodiak? I am not sure if the whale has the dexterity or muscle control to perform such a feat and we are talking a 145+ ton difference between the creatures. It sounds like the concensus is that the whale would be at the bear's mercy on land.

finally, has anyone ever heard of the whale using its tail as a defense or offense mechanism? I can't imagine it would be weak. It is the muscle group that propels the creature all over the ocean.

thanks again for everyones help.

Carolynparsons
Garter
Garter

Post by Carolynparsons » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:49 pm

A blue whale would die if beached, it would sufficate under its own weight, without the bouyance of the water.

jonfpalmer
Garter
Garter

Post by jonfpalmer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:57 pm

Right. Means the Bear wins. Thereby proving that the bear is a much more efficient fighter both on land and in the water. The blue whale has no chance against the amphibious assault of such a proficient killing machine.

Jschiers
Garter
Garter

Post by Jschiers » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:02 pm

How long would it take for the whale to suffocate on land? Can't it hold its breath for 2 hours? Shouldn't it be able to at least fight for its life prior to suffocating?

On land, is this a function of the whale might kill the bear, but the whale will definitely die?

Arctic Dave
Garter
Garter

Post by Arctic Dave » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:38 am

Jschiers wrote:Shouldn't it be able to at least fight for its life prior to suffocating?

As long as it's not busy say, fighting a bear or something......

dave

Carolynparsons
Garter
Garter

Kodiak vs. Blue Whale

Post by Carolynparsons » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Its weight crushes its organs, and sufficates it, I found one account of a blue whale beaching itself one night and dying the next day ~12hours. But Blue whale beachings are very uncommon because they stay in the deep water and avoid shores.

I think a blue whale is too massive to fight off anything once beached. Killer whales can chase seals on to the beach and wiggle its way back to the water but a blue whale would probably be just a unmovable mass.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:33 pm

I should know what the competition is before choose one for the winner ;)

Jschiers
Garter
Garter

Post by Jschiers » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:35 pm

Dr.Stein wrote:I should know what the competition is before choose one for the winner ;)

The competition would be for survival in a physical contest. Whoever survives the conflict wins. The victor does not need to eat the loser, but it would certainly be their treat if they did.

Jschiers
Garter
Garter

One technique the whale could use to attack

Post by Jschiers » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:39 pm

This image shows one technique the whale could use to attack
Attachments
When_Whales_Attavck.jpg
When Whales Attack
(45.23 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

rickAnderson
Garter
Garter

Post by rickAnderson » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Given the nature of Blue Whales and Kodiak Bears it would seem that there wouldn't even be a fight. Whales are used to dealing with attacks from sharks and other whales, I don't see a way the they would even fear bears.

ZakaSPFC
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by ZakaSPFC » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:48 pm

but if the whale called its allies the nubian goats, assorted mountain cats and fossa they would form a force so powerful(THe Fantastic Four) that the bear would instantly explode out of sheer amazement
Sadattay, Whattata Respec.

jonfpalmer
Garter
Garter

Post by jonfpalmer » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:16 am

ZakaSPFC wrote:nubian goats, assorted mountain cats and fossa, (THe Fantastic Four), exploding amazed bear...

Hey man. Please keep the conversation to a realistic level. :-)