Purpose of a primase/polymerase localized to the cytosol?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

rhardison
Garter
Garter

Purpose of a primase/polymerase localized to the cytosol?

Post by rhardison » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi, I recently read a paper, "PrimPol, an Archaic Primase/Polymerase Operating in Human Cells" by Garcia-Gomez et al. This polymerase was largely localized to the cytosol - I'm wondering if anyone has ideas as to why that would be the case or what the purpose of a primase/polymerase localized to the cytosol would be?

Thanks in advance!

Hrushikesh
Garter
Garter

Re: Purpose of a primase/polymerase localized to the cytosol?

Post by Hrushikesh » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi, I have some naïve thoughts about this situation:
If it is an RNA pol, it may be helping maintain/regulate RNA levels in cytosol by e.g. recharging decaying RNA levels in cytosols for extended translation.
If it is a DNA pol, it might be a long surviving vestigial remnant of bacterial ancestry. It might be helping maintain proper levels of environmentally uptaken DNA e.g. via transformation, for successful establishment (integration into genome and maintaining enough copy number) & functioning of the uptaken DNA in those ancient bacteria ( we should check for such a homolog in bacteria to verify this). It also could be a remnant/product of a regular bacterial DNA pol that replicated its genetic elements as there is no cytosol/nucleus compartmentalization in bacteria.
Does this sound sensible?

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 pm

from abstract of the paper:
"Subcellular fractionation and immunodetection studies indicated that PrimPol is present in both nuclear and mitochondrial DNA compartments."
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.