What happens if you convert your DNA into RNA and...

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Accelerator
Garter
Garter

What happens if you convert your DNA into RNA and...

Post by Accelerator » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:47 am

What happens if you convert your DNA into RNA (after extraction) and put it into a genetically modify retro virus and inject it yourself or other people?
And if you have some broken genes sequences and you decide to extract your DNA and fix that problem (if it's possible to fix) and use the method with the retro virus above?

Sorry for all mistakes i did, isn't my nativ language nor am I a professional Biology scientist. I'm starting to learn in a school with focus on Biotechnology and beeing curious about this :wink: .

Have a nice morning/day/evening/night

Accelerator

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:52 am

That depends what piece of DNA you would insert into the particular human being. But basically that's the principle of gene therapy.
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

Accelerator
Garter
Garter

Re: What happens if you convert your DNA into RNA and...

Post by Accelerator » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks mate, asked my teacher about it and got the same info.
What would be also intresting to know, would it be also be then possible to change, say the sequence for the eye color (I'm not going for blond hair blue eyes, but those are the easiest to see the difference on) would than the eye color change after a period of time?
And as well, since the telomere are always (exept for telomerases treated cells) left and cut away after replication, would it be possible to use a retro virus with your own DNA to replace the degenrated/short DNA so you could in a way extend the lifespan of the subject (i know immortality is hard to achive since there are other factors like the oxygene radicals in the mitochondria).

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:29 pm

1) I think the color can change during lifetime (in some cases) so theoreticly yes
2) just treat it with telomerase and you'll get the effect
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

Accelerator
Garter
Garter

Re: What happens if you convert your DNA into RNA and...

Post by Accelerator » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:35 pm

The problem with telomerase is that you get cancer after using it on cells (they studied it) the potential cancer cells without telomerase can be killed easily and a lot faster than with the telomerase enzym, because they start to replicate without degenarating.