What does "acoelomate" mean?

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

grace_pap
Garter
Garter

What does "acoelomate" mean?

Post by grace_pap » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:13 pm

Hi I'm a first year bio student and been studying on the biology of organism. However, in the lectures on invertebrate i always see the word "acoelmate" but i dont know what it exactly means..it seems to have some relation with body organisation rite? Please help me

Enzyme
Coral
Coral

Post by Enzyme » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:51 pm

Acoelomates are triblastic animals without true coelom (corporal cavity which has a mesodermic origin and which contains the organs).

Acoelomata involves four phyla: Nemertea (here I have one doubt. How is it: Phylum Nemertea or Nemertinea?), Mesozoa, Gnathostomulida and Platyhelminthes.

Zoology isn't one of my bests, I'm studying Fundamental Biology and only I took Zoology lessons in my first year of the career, which is a common year for students of Environmental Biology and Fundamental Biology. So one speciallist in Zoology from here can helps you many more than me...

flint
Garter
Garter

Post by flint » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:38 pm

acoelomates are any animals without body cavities

Beetle
Coral
Coral

Post by Beetle » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:14 pm

Only higher (triploblastica) Eumaetazoas that do not poses developed body cavity between body wall and intestin are called Acoelomates. This space is usualy filled with parenhim.

I learnt it as Phylum Nemertina. The number of phyla can be varius by different authors due to the different taxonomic status at level of classis and phylum but those are the major groups.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world" J. Hatfiled

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:40 am

acoelomate derived from Greek words: a = no and koilos = (body) cavity :) Now you can make your own definition ;)