duplication of gene

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Post Reply
boogoo
Garter
Garter
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:53 pm

duplication of gene

Post by boogoo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:01 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a biology class project where we have to create a new genetic disorder.

My question is, if Gene A produces protein A, and Gene A is duplicated, does that mean that protein A will be produced in 2 times the quantity? And if Protein A controls 1 characteristic, let's say, the length of the finger (and assuming that only this protein is the only factor that controls the characteristic), does 2x the protein A mean that the finger will grow twice as long?

(Sorry if the questions sound stupid lol)

Thanks in advance.

- boogoo

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Re: duplication of gene

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:52 pm

boogoo wrote:Hi,

I'm working on a biology class project where we have to create a new genetic disorder.

My question is, if Gene A produces protein A, and Gene A is duplicated, does that mean that protein A will be produced in 2 times the quantity?


What do you mean with 'duplicated'? two times the gene next to each other ?

Then the answer is no.

boogoo
Garter
Garter
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:53 pm

Re: duplication of gene

Post by boogoo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:58 pm

sdekivit wrote:
What do you mean with 'duplicated'? two times the gene next to each other ?



Yea, two times next to each other...if the protein isn't produced twice, then what would happen?

thanks

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Re: duplication of gene

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:07 pm

boogoo wrote:
sdekivit wrote:
What do you mean with 'duplicated'? two times the gene next to each other ?



Yea, two times next to each other...if the protein isn't produced twice, then what would happen?

thanks


because the DNA in front of the next gene does not contain a TATA-box --> RNA polymerase will hardly begin transcription at the second gene.

boogoo
Garter
Garter
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:53 pm

Re: duplication of gene

Post by boogoo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:18 pm

sdekivit wrote:
because the DNA in front of the next gene does not contain a TATA-box --> RNA polymerase will hardly begin transcription at the second gene.


i dont really understand that, but are you basically saying that the the second gene wouldn't really do anything?

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:33 pm

a gene on the DNA is transcribed into mRNA by the enzyme RNA-polymerase. In order for binding this enzyme to the DNA, a bindingsignal on the DNA is needed for RNA-polymerase II

--> A specific protein binds to a so called TATA-box, the consensus sequence TATAAA (or something like that, don't remember right now and don't want to look in my books) and when this protein binds, a whole complex is built, where RNA polymerase is a part of.

Then the gene will be transcribed. In the DNA are also termination signals (actually in the pre-RNA that is synthesized --> hairpin structure or a signal for binding of the protein Rho) The pre-RNA is cleaved and further processed, which is not important in this discussion.

Thant the complex dissociates and in order to transcribe the second gene, which is inserted directly behind the first gene, another bindingsignal is needed for RNA-polymerasecomplex.

Since it isn't there, the gene will only be transcribed by random binding of the DNA-binding protein (TBP)

--> inserting a second gene without a promoter will hardly be transcribed.

boogoo
Garter
Garter
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:53 pm

Post by boogoo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:21 am

I see. hmm.. this will make my project harder

:cry: lol

Thanks for your replies!

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 am

boogoo wrote:I see. hmm.. this will make my project harder

:cry: lol

Thanks for your replies!


and more interesting :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest