Action of Gq protein

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Post Reply
pitch
Garter
Garter
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:11 pm

Action of Gq protein

Post by pitch » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:59 pm

Hi,
I don't find references about the action of the Gq protein and my question is:
The phospholipase C β(PLCβ) actives PIP2 and gives diacetylglycerol and IP3, this DAG actives the protein kinase C but I don't know if the PKC follow the phosphorylation way of RAS and RAF or if the PKC follow another way to phosphotylate the MAPKs :?:
Thanks.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:11 pm

i thought PKC can directly phorylate MAPk

User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Re: Action of Gq protein

Post by Enzyme » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:50 pm

pitch wrote:Hi,
I don't find references about the action of the Gq protein and my question is:
The phospholipase C β(PLCβ) actives PIP2 and gives diacetylglycerol and IP3, this DAG actives the protein kinase C but I don't know if the PKC follow the phosphorylation way of RAS and RAF or if the PKC follow another way to phosphotylate the MAPKs :?:
Thanks.


Take a look to these books:

- Berg J. M., Tymozcko J.L., Stryer, L. Biochemistry (5th edition). Freeman Publishers (2002).
- Mathews C., Van Holde K.E. Biochemistry. Benjamin-Cummings Publishers.

It is very good explained in those books. They were which I used when I studied the regulation by covalent modification of enzymes by phosphorilation and dephosphorilation.

I hope the books will be useful for you :wink:. See ya!
    Image
    Image
    Image

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Re: Action of Gq protein

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:04 pm

pitch wrote:Hi,
I don't find references about the action of the Gq protein and my question is:
The phospholipase C β(PLCβ) actives PIP2 and gives diacetylglycerol and IP3, this DAG actives the protein kinase C but I don't know if the PKC follow the phosphorylation way of RAS and RAF or if the PKC follow another way to phosphotylate the MAPKs :?:
Thanks.


after reading this almost 10 times, i still don't get you question. Do want to know the action of PKC on MAPk, or do you want to know if the activation of PKC is in the Ras-route ?

pitch
Garter
Garter
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:11 pm

Post by pitch » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks Enzyme I've got the Stryer,5th edition that's the greatest book for biochemestry but this is not a good book for cellular biology, and it doesn't talk about MAPK,and if I am mistaken, gives me the chapter :D .
Excuse me Sdekivit for my pitiful english but I would want to say that I never seen a mecanism where the PKC can directly phosphorylate MAPKs. In the way of cytokines as IL3 for exemple or the way of all the growth factor which I know PKC always activates RAF which can then phosphorylate MAPKs.
Thanks for your attention :)

User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Post by Enzyme » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:11 pm

pitch wrote:Thanks Enzyme I've got the Stryer,5th edition that's the greatest book for biochemestry but this is not a good book for cellular biology, and it doesn't talk about MAPK,and if I am mistaken, gives me the chapter :D .
Excuse me Sdekivit for my pitiful english but I would want to say that I never seen a mecanism where the PKC can directly phosphorylate MAPKs. In the way of cytokines as IL3 for exemple or the way of all the growth factor which I know PKC always activates RAF which can then phosphorylate MAPKs.
Thanks for your attention :)


Yes, Stryer is a great book of Biochemistry. I told you that there you can find information about phosphorilation and dephosphorilation (a type of regulation by covalent modification of enzymes).

Take a look to this link:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/ferrellla ... /pub32.pdf

Here it is a lot of information about MAPKs cascade. Also look at the bibliography (the authors used Stryer and many more great books).

I hope this link is useful for you.

See ya! :wink:
    Image
    Image
    Image

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:00 pm

take a look in 'Molecular Biology of the Cell' by Alberts et al

--> many signaltransduction pathways :)

pitch
Garter
Garter
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:11 pm

Post by pitch » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:46 pm

I asked to a resheacher who works in biology of development and he explain me, actually the PKC takes not always the pathway of RAF, but it is unable to directly phosphorylate the MAPKs, it takes another pathway a little bit more complicated.
I thank to both for your help :wink:

User avatar
Enzyme
Coral
Coral
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Post by Enzyme » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:39 pm

OK, your welcome. Anyway, as in a few hours I'm returning to León (the city where I'm studying) and on Monday I start again the classes, I can ask your doubt to one of the professors of the department of Cellular Biology.

I'll tell you. See you! :wink:
    Image
    Image
    Image

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:40 pm

pitch wrote:I asked to a resheacher who works in biology of development and he explain me, actually the PKC takes not always the pathway of RAF, but it is unable to directly phosphorylate the MAPKs, it takes another pathway a little bit more complicated.
I thank to both for your help :wink:


i still don't understand: 'the PKC takes not always the pathway of RAF' :roll:

pitch
Garter
Garter
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:11 pm

Post by pitch » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:29 pm

sdekivit wrote:
i still don't understand: 'the PKC takes not always the pathway of RAF'

Actually the PKC can sometimes phosphorylate RAF but it can active others proteins wich are going to phosphorylate MAPKs,it depend on the receptor and on the chain reaction involved. So there are many possibilities but the PKC never phosphorylate directly the MAPKs.
I hope you understood now, but once again excuse me not to express me well in english :)

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:20 pm

ok, that's what u meant :roll:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests