Medicine

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Medicine

Post by Ultrashogun » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:13 am

Im studying medicine now, but my goal is not to be an actual doctor, but after 6 years Id like to specialize in biochemistry. Id just like to get some opinions on this. A negative aspect would be that It takes longer, around 10 years, but I spoke with a friend who does biochemistry and he says that their work is really just uninspired repitition, watching centrifuges and such.

So can I get better positions in this field after having gone around medicine to get there?

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:49 am

you can become a doctor-investigator, if you know what i mean, but what else do you expect of biochemistry ? you work in a lab :roll: nowadays there are such advanced systems, the only thing you need to do is bring in your sample and a while later you'll get your product.

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Post by Ultrashogun » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:54 am

Im thinking of research.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:06 am

yes and that research also doesn't mean you're experimenting the whole day. No, the experiments is nothing compared with literature studies and so on. Of a whole month, you may do 1 day an experiment and that's much.

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Post by Ultrashogun » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:35 am

Thats cool, Im pretty sure its not fun and games, but literature studys are a more refreshing kind of work than mechanicly working machines.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:36 pm

Ultrashogun wrote:Thats cool, Im pretty sure its not fun and games, but literature studys are a more refreshing kind of work than mechanicly working machines.

true :) and it asks good thinking to set up a good experiment. Experiments will only be sustained by a comittee unless a good idea is behind it.

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Post by Ultrashogun » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:52 pm

In what field do you work in and what do you do? Excus the question, its just out of interest.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:46 pm

Ultrashogun wrote:In what field do you work in and what do you do? Excus the question, its just out of interest.

i'm doing a miniresearch in signaltransduction for my bachelor course signaltransduction (2 weeks only)

--> i had to write research proposal and so on previous course. To get experience in the field of research.

i'm studying biomedical sciences by the way (see profile)