A few questions about the future of cloning

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Billtcm
Garter
Garter

A few questions about the future of cloning

Post by Billtcm » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:41 am

Hey everyone just had a few questions I thought I'de ask. I recently saw the movie “The Island” and in it humans are cloned from the original person in order to harvest organs, yet they are grown outside of a womb, in an artificial one, they are also aged rapidly when they are in the artificial womb to supply the organs to the specific age group, and they are taught how to walk, and talk rather quickly(over a few weeks or perhaps months). And I was just wondering

-When do you believe humans will be able to be cloned(with about a 80-90% success rate).
-Would it be possible to grow them in an artificial womb and also increase the rate at which they age then slow it down while they were in that womb.
-And if they were aged to say 20 could they be taught to walk/talk since the early stages of mental development take place when a person is a child.(Learning a language, how to read due to chemicals being released to absorb these types of information) Unless of course these chemicals could be artificially created and injected in order to stimulate mental growth(to learn, not to enhance)

Hope someone can help, thanks

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:43 pm

The annswer to any of your questions is "We don't know". If you asked a few hundrets years ago when will man be able to fly and using what equipment, everyone would have said it to be impossible. If you ask me, nothing is impossible...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Billtcm
Garter
Garter

Post by Billtcm » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:06 pm

Thanks for the reply MrMistery I appreciate it