no. of chromatids in a simple chromosome

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

yee
Garter
Garter

no. of chromatids in a simple chromosome

Post by yee » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:54 am

pls tell me how many chromatids are there in a simple chromosome.(one or two)

i think i m missing main concept...i m really confused with dyads and tetrads too.

chenglorraine
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by chenglorraine » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:03 am

I thought chromatids are formed when chromosomes duplicate themselves or divide themselves into 2....

Enzyme
Coral
Coral

Post by Enzyme » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:27 am

yee, I've written my answer to your question in your post in the Genetics section of the forum.

chenglorraine, when cell is in G1, chromosomes have one chromatid. And when cell pass S phase (duplication of chromatids), chromosomes have two chromatids.
In mitosis, chromatids are which migrate to the cell poles. But in meiosis, in the first division (reductional division) chromosomes are which migrate to the cell poles. Then, in the second division (ecuational division), chromatids are which migrate to the cell poles (it seems a mitosis).

See you! :wink:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:10 pm

PLEASE never double-post in the future. Read the forum rules. If you continue double posting the posts will be erased
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter