Determining thiol groups...??

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Dolphine
Garter
Garter

Determining thiol groups...??

Post by Dolphine » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Okay, here's my problem.

We did this purification of ovalbumin in our biochemistry labs little while ago. We need to some calculations and answer some questions concerning the practical. One question is to calculate the number of reactive thiol groups in one molecule of the protein. No matter how much I have tried I can't figure out how to do this. We were given the molecular weight of ovalbumin and we determined the absorbance of the protein at 412nm. How can I calculate the thiol groups using these bits of information? I'm getting desperate with this, the whole course is stressing me so badly. :cry: Too bad is compulsory for us. :( But if you can give me any tips how to solve this, please do!

Thanks very much for advance!

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:58 pm

You tell something about reactive thiolgroups. My question is therefore: how did you do your experiment ?

I cannot calculate the amount of reactive thiolgroups from a singe absorbance.l

Dolphine
Garter
Garter

Post by Dolphine » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:46 am

First we did the purification process of the ovalbumin. Then we determined the absorbances of native and purified ovalbumin, both with and without SDS and using DTNB in the samples to do it. We also took readings of the native and our sample ovalbumin at the 280nm.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:33 am

Dolphine wrote:First we did the purification process of the ovalbumin. Then we determined the absorbances of native and purified ovalbumin, both with and without SDS and using DTNB in the samples to do it. We also took readings of the native and our sample ovalbumin at the 280nm.

now i can do something:)

yes, now i can calculate thiolgroups :) What does DNTB do? Yes, it alkylates thiolgroups. And what does SDS do? yes, it keeps proteins denatured.

So what do we need to know for the amount of thiolgroups? First take the purified sample of ovalbumine and measure the absorbance. Than incubate with DNTB and SDS to denature the ovalbumine and you again measure he absorbance.

--> the difference in absorbance is the amount of thiolgroups that can be calculated with the law of Lambert-Beer.

The amount of protein is measured at 280 nm, where eacht unit of absorbance is 1 mg/ml protein.

ros
Garter
Garter

thio groups in ovalbumin

Post by ros » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:32 pm

My name is Dr. Ros Dickison. I determined the number of thio groups in ovalbumin as part of my Masters thesis. I continued the study and in my doctoral dissertation found that when ovalbumin is dephosphorylated the numer of thio groups change indicating a conformational change. My e-mail is [email protected]

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: thio groups in ovalbumin

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:20 am

ros wrote:My name is Dr. Ros Dickison. I determined the number of thio groups in ovalbumin as part of my Masters thesis. I continued the study and in my doctoral dissertation found that when ovalbumin is dephosphorylated the numer of thio groups change indicating a conformational change. My e-mail is [email protected]

interesting :D you already examined what causes the conformational change. I'm curious :)